On 9/19/07, Joel B. Mohler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 September 2007 15:55, William Stein wrote:
> > Just for clarity, why not just compute the GCD with mathematica?
>
> Well, I am doing that.

I didn't mean for your program -- just for benchmarking purposes.

> I assumed that I had found a slow corner case that
> singular folks would want to fix.

Definitely!   Though I wonder if its really a "corner case".  I have
had repeated problems with their GCD in char 0.

>  I'm not entirely sure that this point how
> small that corner is ...

Yep.

> or whether mathematica and magma are simply much
> faster with gcd's of this magnitude.

I think they are over QQ, but only because I suspect Singular
(or any open source general program at all for that matter!) just
doesn't have a good algorithm implemented over QQ.

> Obviously, we would all be happier though if sage was at least in the ballpark
> for speed on this.

I think it should be a high priority to make it nearly match in speed, and
given how good singular is mod p I think this is reasonable to expect.

> It kind of hampers sage as an open source solution for
> what I'm doing ... it basically means I can only get about 4 numbers in my
> desired sequence vs. about 7 or 8 probably (but I haven't figured that out
> quite yet because of other optimization that is needed).

It's truly embarrassing.

William