> The short answer is, because that's what either William, Alex Clemesha, or I
> did when the notebook had about a hundred lines of javascript associated with
> it.  And nobody has bothered to change it since.  I've never considered it to
> be a problem, and it makes sense in css.py since substitutions are made for
> color schemes.
>
> If you want to fix it, I'll be happy to referee the patch.

If you change the file to a .js file, then it can be quite tricky to
actually *find* the file
at runtime in a reliable way.   I.e., there are some nontrivial
technical issues with
changing the file
form .py to .js or .css, because code is not run from SAGE_ROOT/devel, it is
run form SAGE_ROOT/local/lib/python/site-packages, after it is installed.

The natural solution would be to put the file in extcode, but this has a whole
set of other problems, as mentioned above, because of tight integration between
that code and other notebook code.

William