On Thursday 18 October 2007 17:00, alex clemesha wrote:
> > A couple of days ago I wrote to sage-support complaining about margins on
> > plots
> > -- I think they are too big.  Ironically, it seems that vanilla
> > matplotlib is
> > even worse for this in some respects, but sage does a couple of funny
> > things
> > that I'd like a plotting guru to look at.  It seems there is a couple of
> > rather
> > arbitrary adjustments to min/max parameters.
>
> Yes, it is true that they are arbitrary in the sense that maybe tweaking
> them a little this way or that might  give  'better' results in certain
> cases,
> but they are there as a result of a lot of 'testing' (read: making tons of
> plots)
> and taking the best values that 'in most cases' gives visually useful and
> good looking plots.

Ok, I wasn't sure how much of this was thought about and how much was "oh, it
looks good to me" kind of decisions.  I think the thing that really put me
off about it was that I had to change two different places in the source to
get rid of these extra margins and then there were a few other places that
looked like they might need changing if I wanted to get rid of the margins
for other styles of plotting.  It seemed like all that should be a bit more
unified.

Aside from making the code look more complicated, this spreading out of the
margin logic might make exposing options to the user very nasty.

I'm in the midst of remaking some graphics that I made in mathematica about 5
years ago.  Sage goes much better for this as a "real" programming
environment (for my own wildly biased value of "real").  I'll try and
document all the gotcha's I find.

--
Joel

--