On Oct 25, 6:14 pm, "David Joyner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 10/25/07, William Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hello,

> > On 10/25/07, Bill Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > There are some real surprises on that list. MPFR has many more lines
> > > of code than I thought, Pari many fewer lines of code. It's amazing
> > > what it achieves with such a small code base.
>
> > I think one should take everything in that table with a grain of salt, and
> > verify it by hand if it is really surprising.  That said, it does say
> > something.
>
> > > FLINT is a bloated pig compared to NTL, given what the two packages
> > > actually do.
>
> > > What's really amazing is that GMP has so much more code than Pari.
>
> > Maybe part of that is that GMP has lots of assembler code and dozens
> > of different
> > versions of the same function for dozens of different architectures.  ?

Yep, that inflates the line count by quite a bi, but overall we use
quite a bit of those architectures.

> > > Also, aren't CoCoALib and MPC used in SAGE?
>
> > Neither of them are used on Sage.   A public version of CoCoALib was
> > only fairly recently released, and by that time Sage already had a powerful
> > library interface to Singular.   I had wanted to use MPC in Sage at one
> > point,
> > but when I tried I was shocked by how far MPC was behind PARI in
> > functionality,
> > especially for special functions.  At the time MPC wasn't very mature
> > / stable either.
> > Perhaps in a year both cocoalib and mpc could be in Sage; I don't know.
>
> > Bill Page:
> > > For example, does the Lisp entry in
> > > mercurial-0.9.5 python=27386,sh=8300,tcl=3484,lisp=1411,ansic=1364
> > >make sense? As far as I know mercurial does not use any Lisp, or does it?
>
> > That's a huge surprise to me too.  I can't imagine how mercurial would make
> > use of lisp code.  It certainly doesn't depend on lisp to be installed.
>
> The lisp lines in GAP are due to the emacs interface.
> Maybe mercurial is similar?
> Also, the number of lines of GAP code written in GAP's
> own interpretive language (which is the majority)
> is not counted at all ...

Yep, there library code of Singular is also not counted at the moment.
sloccount can easily be taught about those files types by just adding
an extension in the right has and the plan is to do so in the future.
If you see another package with suspicious stats please comment at
ticket #999, especially if you know the file extensions that were
probably overlooked.

The numbers above resulted from a "hey, wouldn't it be fun to ..."
moment in IRC, but it gives us a good idea about the sheer size of
Sage, so hopefully we will get this automated soon.

> >  -- William

Cheers,

Michael