Overall it is a rather conservative release because that build will be
the basis for Sage Bug Day 5.

The following tickets have been closed:

#217: optimize matrix permanents (Jaap Spies)
#762: Elliptic curve L-series bug (William Stein)
#830: SAGE does not install 'gphelp' for extended PARI/GP help (Carl
Witty)
#948: very slow factorization over a numberfield in a 2-variable ring
(Martin Albrecht, Hannes Schönemann)
#959: errors building sage because singular gets confused by system-
wide boost (Martin Albrecht)
#969: cvxopt miscompiled on OSX ppc (Josh Kantor, fixes by Michael
Abshoff)
#971: update Sympy.spkg to 0.5.6, add some minimal doctests (Carl
Witty, Ondrej Certik)
#973: Unhandled SIGSEGV: A segmentation fault occured running
dance(10) (Michael Abshoff, Carl Witty)
#993: Pari's gp interpreter has built-in library search path (Carl
Witty)
#1011: MagmaElement.__nonzero__ (Martin Albrecht)
#1026: memleak in linbox's gmp++_int_io.C (Michael Abshoff)
#1030: MPolynomial_libsingular mutates with call to factor (Joel
Mohler)
#1033: updated optional spkg: biopython 1.44 (Mike Hansen, fixes by
William Stein, Michael Abshoff)
#1034: clean up 'revlex' term ordering mess (Martin Albrecht)
#1037: arithmetic with Schubert polynomials  (Mike Hansen)
#1039: Dokchitser L-series of number field (Jennifer S. Balakrishnan,
referred by William Stein)
#1044: segfault apply morphism to field element (Carl Witty)
#1045: add eulerian testing and circuit-finding (Jason Grout, referred
by Robert Miller)
#1049: graphs: transitive reduction function (Jason Grout, referred by
Robert Miller)

Will very likely get merged:

#845: needs magma guru to look at

Needs more feedback/discussion:

#705: William wrote an EMail to Josh with suggestions after we had a
look at it. Since this is an optional spkg its upload is not tied to
the release of 2.8.11
#787: This ought be be resolved soon, but might be Bug Day 5 material
#980: needs more discussion, unlikely to get merged in 2.8.11
#1032: needs more discussion, unlikely to get merged in 2.8.11

If you have any more patches please make sure they apply cleanly
against this alpha release. As far as I know I have looked at all
patches available in trac, if I overlooked one please let me know.

Cheers,

Michael