I've just been looking at SAGE ticket number 173:

http://www.sagemath.org:9002/sage_trac/ticket/173

The idea is that Mathematica raises a 3 dimensional matrix M over QQ
to the power 20,000 much faster than either SAGE or Magma.

I don't know any algorithm for doing this efficiently. I only know one
algorithm:

1) Compute the  characteristic polynomial p(x) of M (time 0.00s)
2) Compute x^20000 mod p (time 0.22s)
3) Substitute M into the result (time 0.00s)

It's pretty obvious where the time is going here - polynomial
arithmetic. I guess this is the algorithm being used. Is Pari or NTL
being used for the polynomial expmod?

I reckon we can speed this up. What do people think?

Bill.