On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 6:03 PM Nils Bruin <nbr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 16, 2020 at 4:40:45 AM UTC-7, kcrisman wrote:
>>

>> For several more points of view (some articulated by people on the current
>> thread), see also the (long) discussion that the ticket you mention led to
>> on this forum, seven years ago:
>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sage-devel/tAAb42Edh9o
>

> That's quite a thread. One thing I'd like to highlight from there that didn't
> seem to get so much traction is a point Marco Streng made about possible
> notations for right actions:
>
> If G is a group acting on the right on a ring R, and a,b in R and s in G then
> denoting right-action by right-multiplication has a problem:
>
> (a*b)*s would suggest it's equal to a*(b*s), which it is generally not.
> Exponential notation (a*b)^s does not suffer from this problem. That
> disqualifies right-multiplication as a general notation for right-actions to
> me.

It becomes more evident if one has to compose not necessarily
invertible linear maps.

E.g. if one wants to represent linear maps A:F^n -> F^m by matrices,
so that A(v), for v in F^n, be given by the matrix/vector multiplication Av,
then A should be mxn matrix. Then, if B:F^m->F^k (and so B is kxm) the
composition B(A(v)) is matrix product BAv.

And one needs to explain why to form the composition F^n-A->F^m-B->F^k
one has to do BA:F^n->F_k.

So in order to retain the convenience of A(v) being Av, one has to
accept that the order of composition is swapped.
Or write A(v) as vA, then A is nxm, and B(A(v)) is vAB.

Dima