On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 3:29 PM Nils Bruin <nbr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> On Saturday, July 4, 2020 at 9:10:33 AM UTC-7, Rocky Bernstein wrote:
>>

>>  So one goal as briefly mentioned was to be able to write/use a common
>> language for expressing CAS.
>>

> This goal (or perhaps a little more broadly, a common language for
> expressing mathematical objects) has been around for a long time and has
> proven rather difficult.

Not surprising. And the same thing has been tried for Human Language with
similar results.

So I should have been more clear about not wanting to *invent* a language
but *pick *one, and one that I can easily understand ;-)  Also, one that
many others and computers already understand.

You should probably look into efforts that went into OpenMath (
> https://www.openmath.org/) and evaluate what works and does not work
> there.

I briefly looked at that. Again, here is the criteria I posted for
evaluating a language (this time numbered):

   1. there are a number of examples, tutorials, blogs, and books in that
   language
   2. it is fairly complete in what it expresses,
   3. it is popular and ergonomic,
   4. it is well defined and documented

Right now, openmath appears to fail on 1 and 3.

> One of the early design goals of Sage was actually exactly to be a
> compatibility/translation layer between different CA systems and libraries.
> That's where the "expect" interfaces come from and several of those
> interfaces (libmaxima, libgap) since then were better integrated to allow
> translation of information on a binary level rather than just via character
> streams.

I am not sure I understand what this means other than perhaps a superficial
level. A compiler or transpiler may start out with some representation, but
what makes these things useful is that they understand the request or
source input at a deeper level. Whether "binary level" meets that level of
understanding, I don't know. It depends on what that "binary level"
expresses.

 I should have been more clear that I was not contemplating the typical
compiler holy grail problem: solve *n* languages to *m* backends problem by
coming up with a universal intermediate language so this is a *n* + *m*
problem. At best this would be a 1 to *m* problem with a smaller *m *than
is supported by sage for quite while. In fact initially *m* here is 1 or 2.

> The overarching language was not particularly modelled on Mathematica, but
> rather on Magma, which matches Python fairly well.
>
> I'd expect that you'll run into the same kind of issues that Sage has run
> into if you try to replicate its efforts on a Mathematica-modelled
> platform.

Is there some place that concisely documents what the issues are and how
they were resolved (if resolved)?

Although I think we are thinking about this slightly differently, as I
wrote before: just because something is hard and not doable in the general
sense, that doesn't mean that one shouldn't start to undertake doing it;
also that flawed result can sometimes be very helpful and expedient. My
example again is google translate.

That said, I want to avoid the tar pits and sinkholes that others have
fallen into. So understanding what to avoid, or what was learned is
definitely useful.  Thanks!