On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 11:43:01AM +0100, John Cremona wrote:
> I like RealFloats (RF) and ComplexFloats (CF).  Since float is a type
> in both Python and C, they seem reasonable as names for a type/class
> in Sage too.  I can imagine many people wanting to predefine RR=RF and
> CC=CF to make their own code backward-compatible, but it seems to be
> to be a good thing to have the short names RF and CF to remind one
> that we are *not* using some idealised implementation of genuine real
> or complex numbers.

But then, how would you call the real double field (RD ?), the real ball
field (RB ?), the real interval field (RI ?), and so on ?

I like the idea that the genuine fields/rings have 2 letters as many people
use in their LaTeX newcommands : ZZ, QQ, AA, RR, CC

and their approximations use 3 letters RFF, RBF, RIF, ... (could be RFN,
RBN, RIN, or similar).

In any case, i am not sure we should promote the current implementation
of RR so much (MPRF), as RDF is much faster and allows tu use more
external libraries, and RBF is more reliable and as fast.

Ciao,
Thierry