I think there are pros and cons to looking at the Milestone field; In
particular, if scripts evaluate it then it must always be set correctly or
else your ticket is silently ignored forever.  There is certainly a use
case for deferring tickets, but you can do that already manually by
depending on another ticket. Plus thats more flexible in that its not tied
to the release version.

Is it possible to get the current milestone from the trac xmlrpc api? If
not then the scripts can't...