On Monday, February 8, 2021 at 4:06:38 AM UTC-8 Thierry
(sage-googlesucks@xxx) wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 07, 2021 at 04:49:23PM -0800, Matthias Koeppe wrote:
> > The first few user packages have been added in 9.3.beta7:
> > ore_algebra, sage_flatsurf, admcycles, slabbe, surface_dynamics.
>
> We should notice that, contrary to other packages, those packages should
> be considered as downstream (not upstream), and this should be reflected
> in our release process.

That's right, this is an important distinction.

In the current case, it should be the opposite, after downstream adapted
> their code to our changes, so that those packages are not broken for the
> official release.
>
> Hence, there should be a way to update the versions of such packages
> during beta[-1] (the one before rc0), at least those packages should be
> tagged "downstream" somewhere (e.g. whithin SPKG.rst file or whatever),
> so that someone could have a look before the rc.

As Vincent has pointed out, we currently do not use version constraints for
these (downstream) user packages.

I think it should be the responsibility of the downstream package to define
a versioning policy - define when they plan to drop support for a
particular Sage version.
Then we can use an appropriate version constraint in the
"install-requires.txt" file for this package in build/pkgs.

Another question: what happens if at the end of a Sage release cycle,
> the downstream package is still broken ? Shall we remove the package
> from build/pkgs ? Shall we add a temporary patch within the spkg
> directory ? Or add a "broken" keyword for the "type" file ?

Setting type to "experimental" would be good enough, I think. This already
issues a scary warning.