This year is difficult for all of us and we lack motivation for this
edition of GSoC.
On the other end, it is more important than ever to push/motivate/help
students.

Other Sagemath contributors than the usual could be involved in mentoring
activity.
I think many contributors are not really aware of this program and what it
means.
Furthermore, this year the GSoC period has been shortened (by half) and so
it is no longer necessary to be around till end of August.
This could be an extra motivation to attract new mentors.

Concerning the admin part, I don't know how heavy it is, what it means
exactly, etc.

Of course, if we are too few ready to help/mentor for GSoC this year we can
pass.