> On 12/03/2021, at 09:41, Matthias Koeppe <matthiaskoe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 11:36:18 AM UTC-8 Antonio Rojas wrote:
> Here is my current PKGBUILD (after some cleanup I did today)
> https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-community/blob/packages/sagemath-doc/trunk/PKGBUILD
> I'm building the docs in a separate package for practical purposes (sage
> requires frequent rebuilds for soname bumps in dependencies, and I don't want
> to have to build the docs every time) [...]
>
> Yes, this is an important insight. Sage documentation and Sage library have
> sharply different dependencies - both at build time and at installation time.
> The design in https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/29868 models the Python
> package dependencies (PEP 518 build system requirements, and install
> requires) to reflect this.

For the record, I used to have a separate package for documentation years ago
and I walked away from that. Source distributions have different set of
parameters
to play with.

That being said, building the sage documentation is a relatively heavy task so
for
releases I build a documentation set that can be used instead of building it
from
scratch. That set doesn’t change even if I revise the package one way or
another
(unless I fix a documentation specific issue).

For beta and rc release, my expectation is that if you want documentation
you’ll have
to build it. If you follow beta and rc I am expecting you want the “fast” paced
changes
and to have the capacity for a doc build if you wish it.

I personally do CI from Volker merge tree with my install, so I build and test
as
things gets merged, that includes the documentation. If doing the documentation
gets too difficult to put in the framework I use, I will just ditch it in
favour to
whatever version is last available upstream. No more testing of that from me.