On Wed, 2022-04-13 at 19:36 -0700, ph h wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> At the top of 'sage/src/bin/sage' script:
>
> <quote>
> # WARNING: this function is copy/pasted from both src/bin/sage-env and
> # the top-level "sage" script. Please keep them synchronized.
> resolvelinks() {
> </quote>
>
> Is there any other way to keep them in sync without using Copy&Paste?

I think I'm at least partly responsible for that. There are a few ways
we could de-duplicate those scripts, but it's not clear that any of
them are less complex or easier to maintain than copy/paste for now.

Personally, I would rather see the time spent investigating whether or
not we truly need the symlink-free path in the instances where
resolvelinks() is currently used. I would guess not -- that there is a
better solution to whatever other problem prompted the resolvelinks()
function. But I don't know what that problem was. And to remove the
function and "see what happens" would be committing yourself to
answering bug reports from weird sage installs for the next twelve
months.