Hi,

On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 01:47:52PM -0700, Utkarsh Sharma wrote:
> I recently came across https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/18488 and I wanted
> to try fixing the issue. After going through past discussions and the
> solve() method in src/sage/symbolic/relation(which, I believe, is the
> solve() method being referred to here), I figured out that it uses maxima's
> solve() method, so the bug must be in maxima's solve() method.
>
> So how do I go about solving this issue? one obvious solution would be to
> fix the maxima bug, but is there anything else that can be done?

The following procedure is common:

- reproduce the bug within maxima (you can get a maxima console with
  "sage -maxima" command)
- if the bug shows an issue in the interface between Sage and maxima,
  fix it within Sage (with a corresponding doctest)
- if the bug actually comes from maxima, then report the bug upstream
  https://sourceforge.net/p/maxima/bugs/
- once the bug is fixed, either wait for the new maxima version, or add
  the corresponding patch in SAGE_ROOT/build/pkgs/maxima/patches/ so
  that the bug is fixed in Sage (depending on the emergency)
- a common mistake at this point is to close the Sage ticket. Don't do
  that. Instead, add a doctest showing that the bug is fixed, so that we
  get informed if it reappears.

Ciao,
Thierry