@kcrisman

Thanks for the continued conversation.  I hope it was clear that "we would
> be grateful" implied that there was no compulsion on your part, as well as
> on the part of any other contributor.

There is no such compulsion, indeed I like working with SAGE. My reply
about my other ticket was just with light heart to make you to look into my
first ticket.

> However, I couldn't replicate the example you gave - among other thing,
> show(p) gave me something that wasn't plottable (I had to use savefig etc.
> on the figure itself).

savefig was the one given in doc and the right one. I just tried in
shortcut and somehow the plot appeared in my notebook with a error string
[π™»πš’πš—πšŽπŸΈπ™³(βŽ―πšŒπš‘πš’πš•πšπŸΆ)]

>  Also, what is your modified version trying to show - the missing part, or
> a potential solution?  Thanks!

First we have to try natively matplotlib formatter to have similar
selective formatting and confirm whether it is a matplotlib issue which is
to be reported to upstream.
Then try to do something similar to
ax.xaxis.get_major_formatter().set_scientific(True)
ax.yaxis.get_major_formatter().set_scientific(True)
to re-enable scientific notation for axis.

I have to first study matplotlib formatter.

Also I noticed that,
*sage:* plot(x^2,(x,100,5000), tick_formatter="latex")
altogether dropped formatting in scientific notation and instead started
printing like 25000000.0. But typeset="latex"
*sage:* plot(x^2,(x,100,5000), typeset="latex")
does retain scientific notation

It may be clear from these that any tweaking with ticks is disturbing setting
up of scientific notation. We have to explore whether there is any way to
reintroduce scientific notation formatting as well.

Time being solution would be to drop use of  SelectiveFormatter to get rid
of 0 tick label if the axes cross. Let the origin be visible for some time.

With regards
Niranjana