Could it be easily possible to get something inbetween? I like having the
.c files there next to the file (although I have to retrain myself a bit
with typing) rather than having to hunt for them in some obscure
not-well-documented directory. However, I would like that when I make
changes to py files, I do not reload my Sage with these (potentially
broken) changes and want the current behavior. I have had to do a lot of
stashing when writing tests to make sure behavior doesn't change.

Best,
Travis