On Wed, 24 Aug 2022, 03:49 Nils Bruin, <nbr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> hybrid.
>
> [it provides an immediate solution to an urgent problem *and* it provides
> a reasonably automated path for updating. It does indeed put some files
> under sage git control that shouldn't be, but compared to the urgency of
> the problem at the moment, that's minor.
>
> It looks to me that avoiding the git control problem requires there to be
> a tarball to point at if we don't want to insist on git as a prereq for
> building from source.

Since that tarball does not exist, we'd need to make it. We did that in the
> past for nearly all the spkgs. We'd basically need to have a separate repo
> somewhere "gnulib-for-sagemath" that maintains a tool to extract and
> package the required files for sagemath in an appropriate package and then
> host that resulting package (a tarball, I presume) somewhere. We'd just
> make a derivative of gnulib that DOES have tarball releases. On itself,
> that sounds like it could have merit, but one would weigh that against the
> cost. On the plus side: once the tarball is up, it would likely not change
> for *many* years. Only when we run into trouble would one have to pull the
> lever to generate a new release.

we can of course do this, in sagemath org on github. We don't need to do
anything to gnulib source.
It is very little work - just put a gnulib clone there and make a (GitHub)
release.

Updating it is just refreshing the GitHub fork, and making a new Github
release.