Ryan Hinton brought up a good point at #2651:

Currently, matrix(3,{(1,1): 2}) gives the 3x2 sparse matrix

[0 0]
[0 2]
[0 0]

However, for other cases, if we specify just the number of rows, the
returned matrix is square (except when we are giving all the entries of
the matrix and there aren't enough entries).  So:

Should the above command return the following instead?

[0 0 0]
[0 2 0]
[0 0 0]

Sorry for bringing up the nitpicky corner cases, but since matrix() is
used in a huge number of things, we don't want to mess something up when
we replace the constructor.

Jason