Hi William,
   That is interesting. Although my take on that is following Matthias's
proposal, they will just use one (or more) part of Sage as a Python
library. So if they switch, in effect they will still be dropping Sage. I
don't see Sage as having its own custom language other than some small
syntactic sugar items (although I guess the ^ for ** is a big one for
people switching to Python), but it does sit within its own environment
(which has its pros and cons IMO). It is slightly annoying to bring
everything into that environment, but I feel that we can get a bit of a
smoother user experience this way.

I guess some of it comes down to what our target audience is. Even if we
were just a normal Python package and just do "from sage import *", I think
Sage would have a hard time competing against things like NumPy and
matplotlib for those first year courses. They are currently too broadly
used in many fields/industries, so universities will want to emphasize
those. However, Sage is better equipped to do the more specialized math
courses and research based computations. I don't think we have spent nearly
enough time making our own set of teaching tools to compete; mostly that
has been split off/overtaken by the Jupyter notebooks or in the libraries
we build off of. I think we would need to have more of an influence in
industry jobs to bring more universities around to saying "start Python,
then do 'from sage.all import *'."

Perhaps this is the question that I am looking for an answer for, "What is
Sage (after modularization)?"

Best,
Travis