On Thu, Jun 22, 2023 at 2:15 PM Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 2023-06-22 at 13:56 -0700, William Stein wrote:
> >
> > (5) provide a WebAssembly option
> >
> > WebAssembly is typically about half the speed as native code (at best),
> but
> > it is highly cross platform and self contained.   WebAssembly is
> difficult
> > mainly when you have to deal with the OS somehow (e.g., filesystem,
> > networking, etc.), and fortunately, a lot of the code in Sage is math
> > libraries that support a non-threaded mode, so are particularly easy to
> > port to WebAssembly.  A good example is Pari, which is one of "sage's
> > non-Python dependencies".
> >

> We always wind up back here. Are we building mathematics software, or
> signing on to run the world's most experimental linux distribution?

 WebAssembly is not an experimental linux distribution, and it has very
little overlap with linux distributions.  The WebAssembly ecosystem is
built from the ground up, primarily on the LLVM (and Rust) toolchain, and
an ecosystem of free software that is much more liberally licensed (and
smaller) than what is typically in Linux distributions.    WebAssembly
is neither better nor worse than Linux distributions; instead it is a
different thing that solves different problems.

To pre-empt another potential misconception, WebAssembly is more helpful
for the needs of Sage than Java VM's because C/C++ can directly target
WebAssembly.

William