Hi Sage Developers,

Jennifer Balakrishnan and I are members of a prize committee for a new
prize in "mathematical software", which the Europeans
have decided to fund.    Here's the call for *self nominations*, and a link
to the webpage with more details.   I personally think
any significant component of Sage could be a reasonable candidate.     It's
not like the Jenks Prize, where people
would nominate a massive project like "GAP" or "Mathematica" or something,
but I think more the sort of prize that might go
toward an important component of such a project.    But honestly I don't
think anybody really knows what the prize will be until
the committee sees actual self nominations, and discusses them at length --
it's the first year after all.   Anyway, check it out
if you're interested, and also forward this to anybody else who might be a
good candidate.  Thanks! -- William

"One of the main ways mathematical advances have impact in science,
engineering, society, and industry is via their implementation in software.
In order to reward and recognise exceptional research in the development of
mathematical software, the European Mathematical Society (EMS) and the
European Consortium for Mathematics in Industry (ECMI) have decided to
establish the Lanczos Prize for Mathematical Software.

The Prize is to be awarded to a mathematician or scientist, or a group of
mathematicians and scientists, for the development of outstanding
mathematical software with important applications in mathematics, science,
engineering, society or industry.

Eligibility for the Prize is restricted to software whose source is
available to the general public for scrutiny. Commercial software meeting
this criterion is explicitly welcomed.

For full details of evaluation criteria and self-nomination procedure,
please see https://pefarrell.org/lanczos . The deadline for
self-nominations is 31 December 2023."

--
William (http://wstein.org)