On Wednesday 24 January 2024 at 08:22:21 UTC-8 Gareth Ma wrote:

Hi all, my development Sage installation uses the conda instructions here
<https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/installation/conda.html#using-conda-to-provide-all-dependencies-for-the-sage-library>.

There is a command below for how to recompile Cython files:

pip install --no-build-isolation --config-settings editable_mode=compat -v
-v --editable src

I think with these options, you'd end up with the installed files living
right in src. Once they're there you can use whatever procedure to rebuild
them. It may well be that a "make build" with the right environment set up
does the right thing in the sage library. At that point, "src" could even
be a git repo. I'm not so sure if dependency/change tracking will still
work across package boundaries, but getting proper incremental rebuilding
for sagelib should be attainable (and quite frankly required for a
conda/pip install to be a viable way for sage development)

I've certainly used "pip --editable" installs for smaller python/cython
packages and was able to incrementally rebuild on them. The "pip" part is
to get the files in place and linked up with a python environment. After
that you're down to the build/make tools coming with the package.