Hi Sage developers,
As some of you may be aware, there has been more conflict in the last
several months than normal, including multiple violations of our Code of
Conduct.  Sage's mechanism for moderating conflicts and addressing such
violations is a committee, reachable at sage-ab...@googlegroups.com.  I
announced the membership of this committee a few days ago in another
thread; since then one member has resigned and another has expressed
willingness to be replaced.  The current membership is
William Stein
John Palmieri
David Roe
Vincent Delecroix
David Joyner
As a group, we believe that this committee would benefit from new members,
so we are opening a process to add and/or change the membership (the five
of us will go through the same process described below as anyone else
interested in serving on the committee).

We propose the following voting system.
1. A nomination period of 1 week, where any Sage developer can nominate
someone to serve on the committee by emailing sage-ab...@googlegroups.com.
You are allowed to nominate yourself (and we encourage it); if you nominate
someone else we will email them and ask if they are willing to serve.  To
be eligible you should have
a. Contributed code to Sage at some point in the past
b. Not been subject to a complaint to the committee at any point.
During the nomination period, you may also write to sage-abuse with names
of people who you believe should not serve on the committee; if one of
these people is nominated we will write to you asking for more
justification.  If you have a reservation about someone already on the
committee, you should feel free to write to us individually.
2. After the nomination period, we will announce nominees on sage-devel,
and ask for votes (which will also be sent to sage-ab...@googlegroups.com).
Voting will be by approval voting (you can select an arbitrary number of
people to vote for, unordered).  The committee will include at least the
top 5 candidates, and will be enlarged to include all tied candidates if
there is a tie for 5th place.
3. After a week of voting, we will announce the new composition of the
committee.

We're aware that this process is not optimal (and welcome suggestions for
improvement).  But we'd like more help, soon.  So we will open nominations
in parallel to discussion of the process.  We anticipate running this
process every 3 years to refresh membership.

Qualities that we're looking for are
1. Tactfulness and judgement in moderating conflicts and addressing abuse
2. Willingness to put time and effort into repairing some of the problems
that we've seen in our community.
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to us individually, or as
a group.  We will be following this with some proposed changes to the Code
of Conduct, as well as a new document describing how we handle reports
(following the example of SciPy and NumFocus).  Thanks,
David
for the sage-abuse committee