I understand that some macOS users are very comfortable with Sage the
distro playing the role of a missing macOS package manager,

The real question is about *users* in this case, not developers. I just got
messed up the other day brew updating something which killed my Python 3.9
I need in order to use a specific package (nothing to do with Sage,
completely orthogonal) for a certain course, a package which doesn't
support the most recent Pythons yet, and frankly my teaching load (unlike
perhaps that of most Sage developers, I acknowledge) doesn't leave time to
learn the intricacies of pyenv or whatever there is out there to rectify
such situations (I don't *mind* having 3.12 on my box ...).  Sage's
"batteries included" means all my Sage installations of various vintages
stay sandboxed, essentially, and that is pretty comforting.

My guess is that most Sage *users* are in this kind of situation.  The WSL
solution using some version of conda now might allow something similar (?)
for the VAST number of Windows users out there.  CoCalc probably provides a
single solution to a large number of users too (how large, I don't know)
for people using Mac and Windows in their day-to-day work, who don't mind a
little Terminal to get some math done but don't want to use Linux (among
other reasons, because many of us can't afford our own personal computers
for work, so we have to take the options work gives us, which is
emphatically not Linux).  It's great that the fairly small number of Linux
users wordwide have the package manager concept, but its very fragmentation
(!!!) surely takes a lot of developer time too (not just for Sage) as well.
 So this argument, by itself, isn't sufficient.

but it makes me sad that I spent many months of my time debugging and
improving Sage on macOS, and getting this kind of cold shoulder in response
to my requests.

This is totally legitimate, as I've said before, and is the real crux of
the issue.  I would hope people who don't want "batteries included" could
live with it if there weren't a lot of unseen maintenance.  Under past
circumstances, there would have been a Sage Days of some kind by now (in
person) to hash out how to resolve the situation *with an acceptable
consensus*, even if still imperfect, which lightens the load significantly
on Linux package managers while keeping the other progress made on track.
 We need something approximating this sort of summit now to resolve these
issues - and I certainly do think there is an acceptable solution out there.