William,

>By the way, Richard Fateman pointed out to me offlist that
>Maxima running on top of clisp _might_ be much
>slower than Maxima on gcl.  This could be relevant to
>our benchmarking.

Not to start an implementation war but GCL compiles to C which
compiles to machine code whereas clisp is interpreted. Both Axiom
and Maxima have implementations on top of GCL. GCL includes a
routine that will output the lisp type declarations and if these
are loaded into the image with a recompile the resulting code is
even faster. So if you use Maxima, use the GCL version.

CMUCL/SBCL are capable of slightly tighter optimizations because
they grew out of the SPICE Lisp project (under Scott Fahlman)
and concentrated on code optimizations. Under CMUCL I managed to
optimize a function down to a single machine instruction so it IS
possible to get maximal optimizations. But GCL also lays down some
very tight code since proper declarations can usually eliminate
type dispatch, which is important in the inner loops.

You can see the generated code by calling (disassemble ....)

On the other hand you're likely to get small factors of improvements
by changing to compiled lisps (but certainly much faster than python).
My experience shows that its the algorithm changes that matter most.

On a related note, I found it odd that someone commented that
they wish to remove Lisp from Sage. Do you have any idea what
might motivate that?

Tim Daly
Axiom