> I'm not sure I understand the problem.  Here is an example session in
> Sage 3.0.1.  Can you change this to illustrate what you mean?

Sorry, Jason, the example was sort of buried in my post.  Here is a
concise version.

sage: A=matrix(QQ,3,range(9))
sage: A

[0 1 2]
[3 4 5]
[6 7 8]
sage: A.rescale_row(2,i/2)
<type 'exceptions.TypeError'>             Traceback (most recent call
last)
<snip>
<type 'exceptions.TypeError'>: unable to convert I/2 to a rational

William is right about it being (nearly) orthogonal - the common
projection is to use in pedagogical circumstances.

This is now http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/3212.