On Jul 17, 2:58 pm, David Harvey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I don't have time to debug this now, but I want to mention that
> it sounds suspiciously similar to this ticket:
>
> http://sagetrac.org/sage_trac/ticket/2943

It certainly does. (I probably should have filtered the tickets with
"power series" instead of just "polynomial" when I was looking through
them.)

The main difference seems to be that in the the present case, the base
ring of the polynomial ring is exact, though the polynomial ring in
question is "derived" from the inexact power series ring used in the
calculation of the formal group law.  Anyway, I get something that
works if I remove the bit in the patch in ticket 2943 that uses the
old way of determining "__nonzero__-ness" for exact base rings (i.e.
now the code says a polynomial is  __nonzero__  if all its
coefficients are nonzero, instead of checking if the list of
coefficients is non-empty).

Cheers,
Hamish.