I figured I'd give everyone an update on how things are going with the
Sage packages.  I believe (but am not certain) that all of the Sage
dependencies that I want to get into Lenny will make it, though I'm still
waiting on final review for 5 of them that had copyright problems in the
past.

On the other hand, Debian is freezing everything starting in around 5 or 6
days.  So, I need to have a presentable Sage package in the very near
future.

There are currently a few showstopper problems:

1) Sage 3.0.4 or 3.0.5 built with polybori 0.5rc fails to find
m4ri_build_all_codes and m4ri_destroy_all_codes.  This is discussed in
<http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/3264>.

Because this results in Sage not starting, I can't run tests against this
version to find other problems.  So I built Sage against the polybori spkg
included in Sage (which has license problems that prevent me from using it
in Debian).

2) My current version of Sage 3.0.4 built with the 0.3.1 polybori spkg
included in Sage passes most doctests, though it fails a large number of
tests ending with a "Runtime Error" in
sage/matrix/matrix_integer_dense.pyx (error output below).

I'm guessing that linbox is totally not working.  If you've seen a problem
like this before (I'm running the new linbox 1.1.6rc), let me know.

I would greatly appreciate any help debugging these issues.  I can give
out ssh access to a test VM with either version of my Debian Sage package
installed on it if that would make debugging one of these problems easier.
However, the VM's host is very loaded and thus things are quite slow; thus
I suspect that (1) will be easier to debug using the patch attached to
#3264.

        -Tim Abbott

File "/home/tabbott/.sage/tests/functional.py", line 604:
     sage: minpoly(a)
Exception raised:
     Traceback (most recent call last):
       File "/usr/lib/python2.5/doctest.py", line 1228, in __run
         compileflags, 1) in test.globs
       File "<doctest __main__.example_39[2]>", line 1, in <module>
         minpoly(a)###line 604:
     sage: minpoly(a)
       File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/sage/misc/functional.py",
line 614, in minimal_polynomial
         return x.minpoly(var=var)
       File "matrix_integer_dense.pyx", line 910, in
sage.matrix.matrix_integer_dense.Matrix_integer_dense.minpoly
(sage/matrix/matrix_integer_dense.c:8321)
       File "matrix_integer_dense.pyx", line 920, in
sage.matrix.matrix_integer_dense.Matrix_integer_dense._minpoly_linbox
(sage/matrix/matrix_integer_dense.c:8472)
     RuntimeError

(line 920 is the return line of _minpoly_linbox).

(that was one of numerous lines of output from
sage -t devel/sage/sage/misc/functional.py)

Other test failures in matrix_integer_dense.pyx tend to also involve
_minpoly_linbox or _charpoly_linbox.