On Jul 22, 10:17 am, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Brandon

> Speaking of Matlab, I was able to get version r2008a (most recent
> version) working in a linux-2.6 zone using the CentOS 5 distribution.
> I then installed RPyC 3.00 RC1 (http://rpyc.wikispaces.com/)

Interesting, I had never heard of RPyC, but it will likely be of some
interest to some of the people around here.

> in both
> the lx zone's copy of sage and in the native solaris sage
> installation.  I started up the RPyC server (which could be turned
> into a daemon) in the lx zone:
>
> sage: load rpyc_classic_server.sage   # this is one of the server
> scripts that came with RPyC, renamed to a ".sage" file
>
> In the solaris client:
> sage: import rpyc
> c = rpyc.classic.connect("192.168.5.10") # 192.168.5.10 is the ip of
> the linux zone
> sage: c.modules.__main__.matlab('3+3')
>      6

Cool. There is also some code IIRC that let's you use ssh to open a
tunnel to another box to execute commands in some supported
application there. It has been a while, but I believe they also used
Matlab.

> Though I suppose this has some minimal use on its own as being a way
> to call proprietary software not available natively on solaris while
> still using native applications from sage (OpenGL visualization comes
> to mind), I think a more common benefit would be in having a solaris
> zone that is used to house a sage notebook server while not having to
> sacrifice the ability to call proprietary software (from a lx zone).

I am very interested in providing a Solaris Zone with Sage since
isolating the notebook into its own little corner of the system is an
excellent idea. If you have some expertise in that area I would be
glad if you could help out there.

> Once I move in to my new apartment and have access to my sever again I
> will try it out ... it doesn't look like it will be long before the
> solaris port is adequate ;)

Yeah, I am really hoping that William and I will sit down this
Thursday and/or Friday and spend some time nailing down some of those
pesky Solaris bugs. It looks like we now have a solution to a sympow
problem, so hopefully another bug just bit the dust.

Cheers,

Michael