On Jul 22, 10:18 am, karakas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Chris,

> Thank you very much for the clear and fast answer. Since upgrading gcc
> will probably mean an upgrading of glibc too, which will mean a
> recompilation/upgrade of the whole system,

gcc 3.4.6 or 4.0.2 (or is .3 the last one?) will likely build on your
box with the current glibc. Just make sure to enable c and c++ as
languages and install into some prefix like /usr/local/gcc-3.4.6. Then
prepend /usr/local/gcc-3.4.6/bin to PATH and /usr/local/gcc-3.4.6/lib
to  LD_LIBRARY_PATH and do another clean Sage build from scratch.

> I guess it is better to
> postpone compilation until I finish my migration from SuSE to Gentoo
> (which is going to take a *long* time anyway the way things move
> (read: technology: fast, me: slow :-))).

Considering that the support for that SuSE release ended a while ago
that might be a good idea :)

Cheers,

Michael