On Aug 21, 9:08 am, "Bill Page" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Perhaps Sage can implement some form of pattern matching and
> subsitution such is done by Axiom's rewrite rules? I think that in
> many respects these provide a functionality similar to Mathematica.
>
> There is also a similar re-writing system in Maple (applyrule).

Dunno if it matters but there is also pattern matching, substitution,
and expression-hacking machinery in Maxima.

It's probably well within the realm of possibility to strengthen
Maxima's pattern matching by importing an existing Lisp
library for that purpose. I haven't looked into the details.

FWIW

Robert Dodier