Thanks very much for this response.  ffmpeg looks very useful to me, I
am checking it out right now.  It is unclear to me what the overlap is
with mplayer/mencoder.  It seems that ffmpeg is somewhat leaner and
more portable, so I am thinking of using it as the encoder for your
first suggestion (create a sequence of jpegs with the tachyon
raytracer, then convert to mp4).  ffmpeg seems quite fast to me
compared to using imagemagick with GIFs.

Cheers,
Marshall Hampton