On Feb 4, 12:41 pm, Jaap Spies <j.sp...@hccnet.nl> wrote:
> mabshoff wrote:

<SNIP>

> Hi Michael,

Hi Jaap,

> > So far the issue seems to be only at startup, i.e once Sage is up and
> > running I have not observed a libSingular related memory failure. And
> > the fix so far is only a hunch, I have not tested it. The allocation
> > failure also seems to be much, much more common on 64 bits than 32
> > bits since on FC 10 I see about 1 out of 5 Sage startups fail.
>
> I never had this failures on Fedora 10, but maybe this is because my F10
> is on a single CPU computer. My Fedora 9 is on a machine with two CPUs.

I doubt it, this has much more to do with the way the heap is layed
out it seems. That it works on FC 10, but not FC9 has little to do
with it it seems, i.e. I have never hit it on any 32 bit box, but we
have been hitting it on 64 bit FC 9 since the first time a SkyNet
machine run a 64 bit FC9 kernel. Turning off prelinking as well as
address space randomization does not fix this issue, so it is
something deeper inside libSingular. I have posted some speculation
why some runs fail and other runs do not, so I am not going to repeat
it here and bore 99.5% of Sage devs to death again :)

> Jaap

Cheers,

Michael