On Feb 9, 12:41 pm, Jason Grout <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
> Rob Beezer wrote:
> > When you follow the link to the demos, you get a graphic on the right,
> > where if you move the mouse over the plot, text below continuously
> > updates the coordinates.  The vertical scale appears logarithmic and
> > the coordinates are reported correctly.
>
> > No idea if this is something that could eventually be pulled into
> > sage, but I'd love to see this functionality.  My students are
> > accustomed to doing this with their graphing calculators.
>
> We've had discussions about doing stuff with the canvas element, though
> I don't remember discussing the possibility of matplotlib having a
> canvas backend.  That or the existing matplotlib svg backend probably is
> the way to go.

Well, svg on IE requires a plugin while the canvas element seems to be
support by all major rendering engines. So why make things
complicated? Anything requiring a plugin leads to usability problems,
i.e. I don't have to point out the endless jmol is broken with gcj
issue we have to deal with. A solution that just works, but isn't as
pretty as one that requires plugins is still preferable.

> For a (several-year-old) comparison of svg versus the canvas element,
> seehttp://people.mozilla.com/~vladimir/xtech2006/
>
> Jason

Cheers,

Michael