> > I agree. As a member of the non-math-teacher part of this list, I must
> > agree that plot(some_single_var_function_or_expression, 0, 1) should be
> > considered as valid input.
>
> The original proposal by Carl said this would work (see point 3).
> (well, he had parentheses around the range, but it was the same idea).
> As far as I understand, you are agreeing with the original proposal, then.
>
> Carl: how about also making numerical_integral also have the same
> exception?  I believe it falls in the same sort of category as plot does
> in this situation.

In fact, it is somewhat annoying that one can't do numerical_integral
with an alternately specified variable, e.g.
sage: numerical_integral(x^2,x,0,1)
which currently throws an error of having specified integration
algorithm of 1.  This is an example where the current behavior doesn't
allow simply slapping "numerical_" in front of something with only one
variable, so it's not even possible to *be* consistent the way it's
currently written.  That would be easy to fix, though, as an option
for input.

Also, just for clarification - maybe I'm misinterpreting something -
will Carl's proposal allow

sage: integrate(x^2)
x^3/3

or not?

sage: y=var('y',ns=1)

Current ns behavior requires

sage: f(y)=y^2
sage: integrate(f)
y |--> y^3/3

while directly doing

sage: integrate(y^2)
TypeError                                 Traceback (most recent call
last)
TypeError: cannot coerce type '<type
'sage.symbolic.expression.Expression'>' into a SymbolicExpression.

Of course, the current error is because we haven't done the switch to
Pynac for everything yet.  Why this would not still be valid input (to
echo Ronan) after the switch is mystifying to me - again, or perhaps I
have misinterpreted the deprecation proposal.

- kcrisman