> I read the article with excitement, but unfortunately that article is
> total BS -- it's reporting at its worst, and then some.  The actual
> project that article is about
>
>   http://code.google.com/p/unladen-swallow/wiki/ProjectPlan
>
> seems to be massively misrepresented by the arstechnica aricle.   As
> far as I can tell this is in no way some official "Google project" as
> the article claims, and there's not much on that wiki that gives me
> confidence the project members know what they are doing.

I definitely didn't abhor the article as much as William, but clearly
the writer was confused about a few things. However, it looks like the
Unladen Swallow folks are doing something I commend -- trying to get
pieces of their branch merged into mainline CPython a little bit at a
time. Here's a post by the head of the project:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-March/087737.html

(where he immediately clarifies the bit about google-sponsored), which
is part of the following thread on python-dev:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-March/087728.html

It seems like some of the Python folks are already stepping up to
review some of the code, which means we'll probably get some
first-hand opinions soon on whether or not they know what they're
doing.

-cc