> This means that you can either not have (semi)private functions in
> your code or any code submissions to sage will be automatically
> rejected due to the 100% doctest requirement, unless I am overlooking
> something silly.

What I will say is probably silly, but sometimes it's tripped me up.
Did you try adding the line
from doctest import _underscore
to your example?  I am never quite sure when that is necessary but
since presumably doctest.py isn't automatically imported into your
Sage, it could help.  I don't know why nounderscore would show a
doctest.

However, there are plenty of well-documented underscored functions in
Sage, so that is not the problem per se.  Also, it appears you are
using a global Sage install, but I have no idea whether that would
affect anything.

Hope this helps, but it likely won't.  Good luck.

- kcrisman