Dear sage-devel,
We've needed symbolic summation for a while, and whuss has a nice
patch (with various modifications to keep from bitrot) up at this
ticket.  We just need someone to check that the latest version, which
fixed it for Mac, didn't break it for Linux, and to confirm that the
Python sum is not slowed down.
I apologize for putting the general call out, but it's really a crime
that this functionality from Maxima hasn't been available.  We should
be able to find out ζ(4)=π^4/90 from Sage, not from memory or checking
a book.
Thanks for anyone - I know I'll enjoy using it!
- kcrisman