On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 8:56 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 5:50 PM, David Joyner <wdjoy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I had forgotten about them -- thanks for pointing them out.
> Fortunately, those are both mainstream widely mature packages -- note
> that both cliquer and ratpoints are highly specialized with (probably)
> one developer.  In contrast PIL is the standard Python imaging library
> and glpk the standard GPL'd linear programming library.  So that
> helps.   But this time, let's be very careful about how these actually
> get included in Sage.
>
> Who is actually doing the work to include either of these?  I think
> ncohen is working on glpk (?).  I don't know who is working on PIL.  I

Yes, Nathann has packaged glpk.

> know who proposed it, but not if anybody is doing the actual work.

The optional package is pil-1.1.6, which is the current version according to
http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/.  There is a simpler interface to pil at
http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/6741 (which I wrote this summer and
possibly Jason might review at some point), but it is not needed for PIL to
be included. What else is needed?

I'm rather short on time, now that teaching has started but I can try
to help out
if any is needed.