Jason Grout wrote:
> Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
>
>> 2) You are attempting to build Sage on HP-UX. While there are no plans
>> to support HP-UX, if you want to port Sage to HP-UX, the Sage community
>> would appreciate that, and give you what support they can. Any patches
>> you are able to submit would probably be accepted, as long as they don't
>> break builds on the supported operating systems.
>>

> +1.  Definitely encourage them.  We've seen from porting efforts (like
> yours!) that porting code almost always finds bugs that affect everyone.
>
> I would even suggest more encouraging wording, like:
>
> You are attempting to build Sage on HP-UX, which is not a supported
> platform for Sage yet.  Things may or may not work.  If you would like
> to help port Sage to HP-UX, email the sage-devel mailing list.  The Sage
> community would also appreciate any patches you submit.
>
> In reality, even if someone did not port Sage fully to a platform, we'd
> probably accept any bugfixes/patches towards that!  I think it's a given
> that Sage must work on the supported platforms, so we don't need to say
> that.
>
> I also think we ought to encourage them as much as possible and as early
> as possible to seek advice on sage-devel, rather than possibly turn them
> away.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

We obviously share the same view there Jason.

Is there anyone else who agrees or disagrees with putting messages to
encourage those trying Sage on other OS's? Or would they change Jason's
wording? (I think it needs a link to the sage-devel google group, but
otherwise I'm happy with Jason's suggestion.

Dave