On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Peter Jeremy <peterjer...@acm.org> wrote:
> On 2009-Oct-31 19:58:21 -0700, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:
>>through. Let me know if you know something better than google groups.
>
> Why not host the mailing list "in house"?  We have a domain name and
> access to decent infrastructure.  IMHO, a set of mailing lists in the
> form sage-x...@sagemath.org looks good.  As for suitable software, I
> recommend Mailman: www.list.org.  It's quite widely used and mostly
> built on Python.
>
> Paraphrasing the website (and copying the FreeBSD port's description):
>  Mailman is a mailing list manager (MLM); that is, software to help manage

GAP (which Sage includes) has its own email lists which use an
"in-house" Mailman and the GAP lists still gets about the same or
more spam than Sage. Moreover, GAP routes all email through
gmail first, to take advantage of gmail's spam filter. Despite this, spam still
occasionally gets through. Thus IMHO Mailman is not the solution.