On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 4:41 AM, Raymond Toy <toy.raym...@gmail.com> wrote:
> William Stein wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This email is a followup about  "1. maxima opens the root directory /
>> and stats each file found there. Then it does the same thing for the
>> /u (home) directory..."
>>
> This is not right.  Maxima should not be stat'ing from /, but only from
> maxima-sharedir.

Maxima is *definitely* stat'ing stuff all over the place.  I've
replicated this on several very different computers using various
versions of Maxima.  Have you tried?  It's not difficult to observe.

>> Thanks to everybody that responded to my query below.  The
>> "MAXIMA-SHAREDIR" variable looks fine according to the output of
>> "maxima --directories".
>>
> Can you provide additional information like what Lisp is being used?

We're using ecl.  You can get the exact same setup by just installing
sage-4.2.1.

> Then we can investigate why share-subdirs-list is not doing what it's
> supposed to do.

Thanks!

> I run maxima across NFS, and I haven't noticed any slowdown (except that
> it takes a while to load up the maxima binary across the network).

To physically notice it depends on the speed of your NFS. E.g., on one
of my machines the difference in startup time is about 0.4 versus 0.3.
   This is hard to notice.    It's best to worry more about the output
of strace than the actual observed speed, because of disk caching.

William