Patch submitted at
http://sagetrac.org/sage_trac/ticket/7890

the conversion of matrices only works when the conversion of the gap
ring works. In particular, it fails for cyclotomic fields, cyclotomic
rings, and finite fields of non-prime order. I have also modified the
_matrix_ method so that if no ring is given it tries to pick it up
from the first matrix entry.

To make this patch *really* useful conversion for all the missing
kinds of rings and fields should be implemented. For GF(p^x) the only
thing that needs to be done is to expand the p^x part (gap actually
returns something like "GF(2^4)" rather than "GF(16)" into a number
and then call the sage conversion specifying a generator name.

For cyclotomic and other kinds of fields some more work is needed.

Since GAP has two methods (Ring() and Field()) that are relevant here,
it would be great to have a way of deciding which one should be
called.

Any further work along these lines will be most welcome!

Cheers