William,

On Jan 23, 3:37 am, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Jaap Spies <j.sp...@hccnet.nl> wrote:
> > William Stein wrote:

> >> I so wish you were right!    The programs you refer to like Singular
> >> are very simple and tiny compared to Sage.  If things were so easy as
> >> you think, somebody would already have set things up so one can do
> >> things that way.  Nothing is stopping anyway from doing that now.

OK, I oversimplified.

As far as a practical step towards having more flexibility:
Presently Sage does not have any mechanism allowing for "virtual"
packages (I am stealing from Debian/Fink here)
that would allow for using the already installed, somewhere on the
system, non-Sage part of a Sage spkg.
It would check if what's already installed satisfies the
prerequisites,
and if not, (sage -install, say) would pull a replacing "full" spkg
from a Sage repository.
Of course in some cases the pre-requisites check is quite tricky, but
there are trivial cases, like bzip and mercurial, too...

How hard would it be to have such a thing?

> > Happens that Singular is a stumbling stone in the port of Sage to
> > Open Solaris 64 bit! As it comes to building libsingular I have no clue at
> > the moment.
>
> Even things that are relative simple aren't very simple.
>
> Sage has a cross-platform build system and environment.   One question
> that is related to the discussion in this thread is what the situation
> is with other cross-platform build environments.   Of course I know
> about Debian/Fink/Cygwin/etc., which are specific to different
> operating systems.  Does anybody know of *any* good cross-platform
> build environments besides Sage?    Python +
> (distutils+distribute+whatever) is such a thing to some extent...

Debian packaging/build system is used in Fink
(for people unfamiliar with MacOSX: http://www.finkproject.org/)
and there is also a FreeBSD port that uses Debian:
http://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/
Thus, yes, Debian is one such cross-platform  system.
OK, yes, it still needs some OS-specific glue, but not too much, and
it runs atop of a Unix shell.

By the way, In Haskell there is a build environment (Cabal ?)  similar
to the Python's...

Dmitrii