IMHO coercing (details to be worked out, I guess, otherwise we might
have precision losses...)
into complex numbers x+iy, and then compare lexicographically,
1st the real parts, and then the imaginary parts (to make this
consistent with the
event we compare reals!), is the only meaningful way to proceed...

Dima