Mike,
if you need something specific for your goals implemented
on GAP side, please email gap-support and/or me.

Few further remarks:

I also noticed and reported here a while ago that Sage's functionality
for matrix group is not quite consistent with this functionality for
permutation groups (probably due to the fact it was implemented
by different people, or not at the same time.)

One particular aspect you might consider in your project, is to
connect
GAP's GRAPE package, that works with graphs and their automorphisms,
with Sage's graphs.

Also, you probably do not want to do Sage's very own finitely
presented groups;
it's really a lot of work, some of it highly technical. Re-doing it
from scratch
is a challenge (as much as, say, a well-working commutative algebra
system with Groebner
bases etc).
However, you should be aware of existence of an optional Sage package
ACE
(Advanced Coset Enumerator) that is a good stand-alone implementation
of
the Todd-Coxeter algorithm.

Best,
Dima