It is my recollection that the definition of sqrt of a negative
number, say -9, in the unix math library
is the sqrt of abs value. Hence it returns 3.  So that's another
choice.

Contrary to Tom's note, I am not requiring that the range and domain
of a function be the same,
though it may have appeared that way by the examples.  It is that when
there is agreement on
the extension of a function (as factorial extended to gamma), it makes
sense to use it in a CAS.

In calculus texts you see the answers to some integrals include
log(abs( ...))   .   Why? It is
because the audience doesn't know about log extended to negative
numbers.  So some people
used to post bug reports about Macsyma leaving out the abs().

Sometimes there is not unanimity in such extensions.  Consider
fractional derivatives.  That
is,  if diff(E(x),x,2)   is the notation for the second derivative of
E(x),  what is
diff(E(x),x, 1/2)  ??

Can this be defined so as to coincide perfectly with the definition of
diff  on integer-valued orders?
Yes.  But, as I recall,  in two ways. :(

RJF