Hi

> Very interesting.
>
> 1. How does the speed of the Sage notebook running locally on your
> computer compare to Spyder locally on your computer?

I don't think they can be comparable, doing so different functions...
Anyway I always use notebook from a server in the local network (which
is anyway pretty fast). And I still fear that my python installation
in the windows virtual machine is somehow broken because the ipython
console is much slower than the plain python console. By the way, some
time ago we managed to run spyder letting it use the sage console as
interpreter, which was kind of fun, but never used it extensively.
Basically what we did was to install spyder on the server hosting
SAGE, and then running Spyder logging on that machine from our
workstation and exporting the display. That has been a very
interesting experiments, but later I had little occasion to use it,
and the notebook is still more comfortable for touch and go.

> 2. Are the plotting issues you mention the result of Spyder embedding
> static png images (like the sage notebook does) or something more
> subtle.  The sage notebook might switch to HTML5 canvas rendering
> soon....  I say might, because after having tried it a bunch, I'm
> seriously concerned that HTML5 canvas matplotlib is slow --
> surprisingly, maybe much slower than using png's and image maps, which
> we should have at least enabled long ago.

Yes, they embed static png images with image maps (if I understand
what you refer to), which is standard matplotlib output nicely put
inside a Spyder subwindow. The problem is that I strongly dislike this
output form, I consider it like a fake form of interaction. Some time
ago, we were considering to spend a little amount of time in writing a
HTML5 canvas for matplotlib, but we stopped because of (apart not
knowing how to interface with a server) doubts about matplotlib
structure. What I mean is that matplotlib is designed so that its
canvas is just translating a bunch of lines and points and other
graphical objects into something that is understood by the target
viewer. To enhance real interaction, IMHO, the best way would be to
pass to the viewer also an idea of the hierarchical structure of the
plot, so that the viewer by itself is capable of changing basic
properties like "axis visibiliy", "plot line colour", etc. At this
point, I hope we were wrong and that HTML5 canvas that has been
developed can overcome these problems. Anyway, I think that doing
everything on the server side and letting the client only plot the
received data may be too much communication overhead, while there are
a number of different javascript viewers which are pretty powerful and
fast.

> 3. I have talked with people about making a Matlab-clone-ish version
> of the Sage notebook. This would be web-based, but instead of feeling
> Mathematica-like, it would feel much more Matlab-like.    Thoughts?

I think that SAGE-python can be easily accepted by Matlab users
because of intrinsic similarity of scripting language structure,
console interaction, and stuff like that. The problem is that Matlab
is very reliable for operations like vector manipulation (which
require additional interaction with numpy in SAGE), data analysis
(there are many potential toolboxes in scipy) and symbolic analysis
(for which SAGE is growing, but still very far from industrial-level
reliability).
On the filter design side, I agree that is very useful and often used,
and I can tell that scipy has the signal toolbox which incorporates
some functions to do this. I think that most of the engineering
appealing that SAGE can show is currently strongly supported by numpy/
scipy power: if SAGE can be better integrated with them, and if we can
improve their functions, things will improve for engineers.

At the moment, there may be very little advantage of using SAGE
instead of plain python to interface with numpy/scipy, which are
anyway the core toolboxes needed.

Maurizio