On 11/6/10 8:49 PM, Jonathan Gutow wrote:

1) Development of a slicer within Jmol.  This would allow hiding all
but an arbitrary thickness and orientation slice of the 3-D image.
This involves both Jmol developments and probably additions to the
javascript interface for the notebook.  This I believe is reasonably
straight forward.

I think this would be fantastic. Just the other day, when we talked about directional derivatives in multivariable calc, it would have been handy to have a slicer to show how the directional derivative gives the slope of the tangent line in a particular slice of a function. As it was, I constructed a slicing plane and intersection curve "by hand" to show the slice.

2) Development of a plot4d command allowing time dependent 3-D plots.
I believe this requires a little work on Jmol, but mostly a reworking
of how sage sends data to Jmol.

This would be cool too. Along these lines, it would be cool to "ride" a parametric curve, for example, to show how motion works in 3d (T,N,B vectors, for example).

3) I am also interested in exploring projections of hypersurfaces.
This is probably the beginning of a much larger project and could
involve only work in sage or parallel enhancements of sage and Jmol.

4) Reworking the way sage packages data for Jmol so that we could use
more of Jmol's internal axes and things of that nature.

That would be great too.

Here is one thing that I don't know the level of difficulty in fixing. It may have to do with (4) above (dealing with Sage's rescaling of things before sending to jmol). If I have two planes that intersect, but are almost parallel, there is a very unclean line of intersection that flickers a lot as you rotate the figure. For example, see http://sagenb.org/home/pub/2545/

I notice that, for example, Mathematica has a very clean line of intersection that does not flicker. Maybe this is an issue on the Sage side (i.e., we should be splitting our triangles at the point of intersection so that each triangle is cleanly on one side of the intersection), or maybe it could be handled on the jmol side. I don't know. What do you think?

Thanks,

Jason

--
Jason Grout